Step 5: MAKE A LIST OF DESIRED HOME FEATURESWhen planning on buying a home, you should know what type of house is right for you and what you can get based on what you can afford. You want to buy a home that you love. To do so, you need to make a personalized list of desired home features that are “must haves”, “really wants” and “can do withouts”.
Prioritize Your Desired Home FeaturesKeep in mind that it is likely that you won’t be able to find a home that fits your list perfectly. Once you have made your list of desired home features, you should rank them and see what lands at the top and the bottom of your list. This will help you stay focused and motivated while you are searching for your home.
Make Your Personal List of Desired Home FeaturesHere is a list of suggested list of items to consider when making your list of desired home features.
- What type of home do you want and why?
- Single family home
- Manufactured home
- What architectural style of home that is common in Arizona appeals to you?
- What age home would you like?
- New build
- Newer home
- Older home
- Do you prefer a single-story or two-story home?
- How many bedrooms do you need?
- How many bathrooms do you need/want?
- Do you have to have a separate laundry room?
- How much storage and closet space do you need?
- Do you want a walk-in pantry?
- Is a garage important? How large should it be?
- How big of a lot do you want?
- Do you want grass or crushed rock lawn?
- Do you want a pool?
- Do you want solar panels?
- Do you want a water softener?
- Do you want to live in a community with a HOA?
- Is the home connected to the sewer or a septic tank?
- Is the home use a public or community water system, shared well or individual well?
- How close do you want to be to work?
- How close do you want to be to family?
- How close do you want to be to shopping or restaurants?
- Do you need hospitals close by?
- How close do you want to be to schools?
- How important is the school district and school boundaries to you?
- How close do you want to be to a freeway?
- How close do you want to be to the airport?
- How close do you want to be to Arizona’s professional sports teams’ venues?
- Are the homes in the neighborhood holding their value?
- Where do I spend the most time at home?
- Will you work from home? Do you have room for a home office?
- Is the layout of house good for entertaining?
- open floor plans
- wet bar
- outdoor patio or deck
- Is the kitchen a good size and easy to use?
- Are you looking for a home to grow into?
- Do you want urban or country living?
- Does the community have a park?
- Does the community have walking/running trails?
- Is the the backyard big enough for …
- your projects?
- kids to play?
- Do you want to be close to lakes and designated off-read vehicle areas?
- Do you need guest quarters or parents’ suite?
Previous Step: PREPARING A HOUSEHOLD BUDGET
Next Step: GET PRE-APPROVED TO BUY A HOME
Legal Disclaimer This home buyer series is intended to provide general information regarding the process of how to buy a house in Arizona. It is not intended to provide buyers with legal, accounting or financial advice. You are advised to seek the services of a skilled professional this those fields. Additionally, this home buyer series does not set forth all qualification criteria for any of the loans described herein; all interested persons must successfully meet qualification criteria and complete the application process to obtain such loans.
IMPORTANT MORTGAGE DISCLOSURE
Contents of this website are copyrighted property of the owner of this website. All trademarks, logos, and service marks (collectively the “Trademarks”) displayed are registered and/or unregistered Trademarks of their respective owners.
Starboard Financial, 4145 E Baseline Rd, Gilbert, AZ 85234
NMLS ID #156931
© 2017 Starboard Financial is not a government agency and is not affiliated with HUD, FHA, VA, USDA, FNMA, FHLMC or GNMA.